Sunday, October 12, 2008

the 19 year old virgin.......

Yes people, the title pretty much sums it up, call it blasphemy, sacrilege or any other term which I presume it is in these times we live, but the one thing you can’t call it, is normal. The way I see the world around, if you are eighteen and you still haven’t been laid its too late. Me and a couple of mah friends back when we were 15, had great aspirations of hitting 18 with a bang(yes we were perverted, and just as desperate), but four years down the line, the sore bunch of losers that we were/are, most of us haven’t even managed so much so as a date. But then there was a bunch which actually stuck to their resolution, atleast went half way there, as the old adage, to which I wont stake any claim, goes, aim for the stars, incase you don’t get there, you will atleast land up on the moon. Logistically speaking, in present day India, people like me are the logical conclusion to the screwed up sex ratio we have (a deficit of 77 females for every 1000 males), and for which we are in no way responsible, and if I may add, out of sheer magnanimity, we would like to do our part to mend, if only given the chance. But then this argument, or line of reasoning rather, which is actually a consolation in disguise, doesn’t hold much water when the present day notion of fidelity is taken into account, and which ensures that the 77 deficit actually culminates into a surplus of god knows how many, but then the same inconsiderate lot that made for the moon (the adage, remember?), jumps turn, and seems to make the most of this also. I guess experience does count for something. So the bunch of losers that we are, we lose out for the second time (many of us play the morality card over here). That still makes us losers doesn’t it? As in, this doesn’t result in a promotion/demotion of any sort does it? Technically we lost nothing. Equality amongst losers, if you wish to see it that way. That is the best part of being what I am, I have nothing to lose, any change in my state, can only lead to a betterment (this is of course if we restrict the universe to the topic which is being discussed at hand). Even though theoretically the oxford dictionary would suggest otherwise, by practical application a loser would mean a person who has nothing to lose. This is the inherent fallacy in the term which is so conveniently used. The way I see this, this makes the term one of the biggest misnomers in the history of mankind. This (realisation? revelation? discovery?) doesn’t in any way go on to ameliorate my state or condition, this lacuna in the English language, has further denigrated my stature, I feel orphaned, abandoned even by the language of my choice.

Its three thirty in the morning, I am staring blankly at the desktop listening to Burn it Down by Alterbridge, clinging on to the coffee mug, the cells been silent for god knows how many moons, making completely pointless posts for lack of better things to do, I have never known such lack of purpose, such loneliness, the void just expands with each passing moment, I can almost hear the packet of cigarettes’ in my bag lying in the other room, yearning for my touch, no not tonight.

Why blame the English language when the lacuna actually lies elsewhere?

No comments: